I just finished two different short story collections, Imaginings by Dean Warren and Recapture by Erica Olsen. Some of the differences between the two collections include :
1) how relationships are handled--Erica Olsen typically has relationships in unfinished states, Dean Warren has relationships in direct conflict, the subtlety the pronounced difference.
2) imaginative world--Erica Olsen offers a mild difference, Dean Warren makes major changes
3) variety of the stories--Eric Olsen's tend to be thematically connected by archaeological artifacts, Dean Warren's by the genre
4) voice--both use a variety of viewpoints, but Erica Olsen tends to muse about the situations whereas Dean Warren tends to be actively involved, but has less inner thoughts
5) style of work--neither seemed to challenge or play with how fiction is created and tend to be sa offer a good story
I enjoyed reading both collections.
About Sheri Fresonke Harper
This was one of the best flash fiction collections I've read. The selections make the reader experience a concrete moment that inspires, thought and or feeling. Stories have names like Coo Coo, Bedtime, Showtime, Crossover
tagged: poetry-books and shortstories